Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I gave him a topical flea treatment today because he was…

Hi! I gave him...

Hi! I gave him a topical flea treatment today because he was itching terribly (and some Benadryl like 6 hours ago) to help with the scratching. Now his ears and snout are slightly swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Broccoli, 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Broccoli?

He’s the cutest. Doesn’t seem to be having trouble breathing and has stopped itching like he was

2/18/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

That sounds like an allergic reaction. The benadryl should be helping. How much does he weigh and how many mg of benadryl did you give him?

Thanks very much!

Glad to help. That sounds like an allergic reaction. The benadryl should be helping. How much does he weigh and how many mg of benadryl did you give him?

He’s fifty pounds, gave him 50mg of benadryl. Read 1 mg per pound

That is the right dose. So apparently that is not taking care of the reaction.

This is probably not what you want to hear on a Saturday night but he probably needs to go to the emergency clinic, and have a cortisone injection to stop the allergic reaction, if the benadryl is not helping.

It was quite a while ago, would it be okay to give him another dose and see if it improves?

It can be given as frequently as every 8 hours. I read that you gave it 6 hours ago. But if it has a been around 8 hours, or more, sure give another 50mg of benadryl and see if that helps.

Then keep giving it every 8-12 hours until he looks totally normal again.

Will do. I gave it at 10 so will give another dose in an hour

Okay sounds good. Then keep giving it every 8-12 hours after that. Hopefully it will work. : )

Thank you! I’ll take him to the emergency clinic tonight if it doesn’t improve. Thank you.

I was also thinking if he was fine, and not swollen, before the flea preventative then maybe he is having an allergic reaction to that. It could help to give him a bath to wash it off.

But if he was having the reaction before the flea preventative, then it is probably not due to that.

You are very welcome. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to reply again.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Hi,He’s going to the vet tomorrow. He gave himself an aural hematoma