Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My miniature schnauzer has been periodically lifting up his…

My miniature schnauzer has been...
My miniature schnauzer has been periodically lifting up his one hind leg he is 4 years old and in good health. Why would lid this be?
He also skips a beat and hops a bit too now and then.
2/18/2018
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. It is possible that your mini Schnauzer has an orthopedic problem causing him to sporadically lift up his rear leg. The skipping is suspicious for a problem called a luxating patella (aka wiggly knee cap). This is a fairly common orthopedic disorder and can be mild to severe. Some dogs can go their entire life with a luxating patella and never show symptoms, while others can become very lame and painful on the limb.
Does he limp on the limb ever? Does he have trouble going up and down stairs?

Doesn’t appear to be having any troubles at all with stairs at the moment
the odd limp

Okay, that is good. I found a good youtube video that displays a small breed dog with a luxating patella. When you watch the short video you can see that the dog occasionally skips on the back right limb.
Is this what it looks like for your dog?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yik_nTMVAV4

I have another question in regards ***** ***** will you answer?

Yes I can answer your second question as well.

He is constantly squeezing and releasing his colon or might I say doing kagels

Okay. Lets focus on the limping first and then we can talk about the sneezing. Were you able to watch the youtube video?

Not yet I will now
He might limp 5% of that

I think a patella luxation sounds most likely in his case based on your description. This is a very informative write up on this disorder. It does not sound like it is severe in his case at this time. However, if his limping increases at any point, then he should be evaluated by your regular vet and an anti-inflammatory drug can be prescribed. Please do not administer over the counter anti-inflammatories to him as these can be harmful.
This is the website: https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/patellar-luxations

Now, the sneezing...Dogs can sneeze if they are allergic to something in their environment that could cause them to sneeze. Over the counter Benadryl is usually the first thing we will try giving the dog to see if this decreases the sneezing as this is an anti-histamine that is very safe when dosed correctly. Other things that can cause sneezing include dental disease, dry nose (such as in the winter when humidity is low), infection, rhinitis (nasal inflammation), or something could be stuck up the nose like dust or a plant debri.

Sorry I didn’t say sneezing

ah you are right you said squeezing. My fault, I apologize.

Okay so he looks like he is contracting his abdomen like he is trying to have a stool?

His sphincter is constantly squeezing and releasing

Has he ever had to have his anal glands expressed by your vet? Or does he ever drag his bum on the floor (this is also called "scooting")?

I don’t believe so

It is possible that his anal glands are full and he is having trouble expressing them on his own. This can happen if the anal gland duct becomes obstructed from infection or if the stools are not firm enough. Anal gland expression is something that a vet tech or even a groomer can perform for you. Other possibilities could be an intestinal parasite (or worms). This could cause inflammation of the distal colon and make him constantly be tightening his anal sphincter. A stool sample can be checked by your vet to rule out worms.

I'm assuming he is having a normal stool once per day? If he is not having normal bowel movements each day, then constipation could cause him to contract his anal sphincter.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If you are satisfied with my help, then I would appreciate if you would hit accept at the top of your screen and leave me a positive rating. Thank you.

Chelsea Schwarb