Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9 year old boxer. A new development is his constant…

I have a 9...

I have a 9 year old boxer. A new development is his constant sniffing when navigating the house. It is the same kind of sniffing he used to do when be smelt food. I'm just trying to make sense of it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Charles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charles?

Not that I can think of

2/17/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to help with your question. About how long has Charles been doing this sniffing behavior? Have there been any changes to the home?

It started yesterday

Ok and does Charles have any health issues?

Just oversized gums, but ive consulted a vet about it

Ok, so I am not sure if he is smelling something new in the environment that we humans cannot smell, but it is possible. The other thing to think about is that sometimes older dogs have a decline in their senses of vision and hearing. If his vision and/or hearing have gone down, he may be confused and using his sense of smell to help him navigate around the house. If the behavior continues I would take him in for an exam and ask specifically about hearing/vision loss.

Thank you.

You're welcome. If my answer was helpful, I would greatly appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, or if you have any more questions, please reply here and I would be happy to continue the conversation.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian