Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think she has a slight bladder infection. What can I do to…

Customer Question
I think she has...

I think she has a slight bladder infection. What can I do to give her relief till I can get into a vet in the morning? She is 9 years old and weighs 10 pounds. A mini doxy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Abby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abby?

No. She has always been healthy.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/17/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Unfortunately there are no home therapies for urinary tract infections but you can do a few things to help minimize her discomfort until your vet opens tomorrow in hopes if increasing urination and therefore "flushing out" the bladder to relieve pain

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or no salt broth for example) as I said to help flush out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with urethral spasms and bladder inflammation.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of Abby's symptoms.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

If you have cranberry chews this can also help with bladder wall inflammation and proven to reduce bacteria's ability to attach and cause further distress, 250 mg daily

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another 30 minutes tonight

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Abby to see if you were able to get her to your veterinarian today and she is more comfortable? I look forward to an update at your earliest convenience

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian