Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My shih tzu did not eat last night or this morning. he is…

My shih tzu did...

My shih tzu did not eat last night or this morning. he is walking as if every bone is aching. sleeping a lot

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Gizmo coming up to 12yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Gizmo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gizmo?

No this is very sudden

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/16/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Gizmo has had a poor appetite for 24 hours, is lethargic and is moving gingerly.

He's an older fellow so he may be moving carefully because he is arthritic or he may have abdominal pain secondary to whatever is affecting his appetite. Likewise lethargy can be due to a primary disease process or simply because he is weak from not eating.

Lack of an appetite and lethargy can be related to eating something he should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism), inflammatory bowel disease, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Because he hasn't eaten normally in 24 hours and especially if he isn't drinking I am very concerned about him. If he isn't drinking well either he will quickly become dehydrated.

Ideally he would see a veterinarian today if this continues. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine him, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate him and know best how to treat him.

In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate him.

If you cannot have him seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.

At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help him feel less nauseous so that he will eat and drink. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

If he continues to not eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Sorry for the late response working nights. Took Gizmo to the vet had blood test and painkiller anti inflammatory injection. Seems fine now.Thanks

No worries, I am glad to hear that Gizmo has been examined, treated and is feeling better. Thank you for taking the time to update me, Dr. Kara.