Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is throwing up her food when she first starts eating.

My dog is throwing...

My dog is throwing up her food when she first starts eating. She'll threw her food up then eat it. Sometimes she then will eat the rest of her food. Other times she won't I have about $3000 in Vet bills trying to find the issue. She's been tested, X-ray, Blood work, Blood work, and more Blood work, ultra-sound, B-12 level checked and it is high.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No, this has been going on since October. The vet is at his wits ends. I did recently just remove her Soresto fle & tick collar. She improved for a week and no is back to throwing up after she a couple bites of food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Abby. Not sure of the age. I rescued her last February, 2017. approx. 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abby?

No, she was healthy dog when I got her in February. I put the Soresto collar on her in August, and in October she had diahrea very bad, The vet corrected then she started with this throwing up in December and we can get it under control with atibiotics. But it seams that after shes off the antibiotics for about a week thing start again.

It's not an easy problem is it?
2/15/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Rachel and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I'm sorry to hear Abby has been having this chronic vomiting issue that is so difficult to diagnose! It sounds like your vet has done a very thorough work up. At this point, I recommend having endoscopy done and a biopsy done of a small tissue sample of her stomach. Possible problems that it could be are invasion by inflammatory cells, which would be treated medically. Unfortunately, stomach cancer is also a possibility but hopefully that is not the case. The biopsy should give you an answer.

Thanks for your reply, but, may I ask you a question? My Vet and you seam to "not" want to address Abby's problem as possibly being with the Soresto flea & tick collar. Why is this? I took the collar off 11 days ago and she seams to me to be a little better. I did research on the poisoning effects and the one poison, Propoxur, has symptoms like Abby is going thru.

It would be rare for that to be the reason, but if you have noticed an improvement when the Seresto collar was removed, then yes, definitely keep that off. That would be an easy fix!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Rachel