Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 4 year old 8 pound Yorkie that has pancreatitis.

Hi. We have...

Hi. We have a 4 year old 8 pound Yorkie that has pancreatitis. She will seem to be over it and be fine and then out of the blue she starts hurting and we can tell because she will kneel down low to stretch her stomach. We have some pain medicine from our vet which helps and she is usually fine the next day. My wife wants to know what would be the best food for her. She is getting some food at the vet's but wants to get her back on a regular diet and wants to know if dry food is ok, is raw food ok?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Yorkie's name?

Izzie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Izzie?

No. She is healthy otherwise

She has been tested at two vets and they suspect pancreatitis. She also vomits a little and has a little diarhea once per episode.
2/14/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Izzie has had pancreatitis. I am sorry to see you have been waiting for an answer; I just came online and saw your question.

It is pretty important that she get a low fat diet, to prevent another bout of pancreatitis. This may not be easy to do with a raw diet. Dry food is OK but you want a really low fat one; the percentage of fat should be under 10 % at least, if not under 5%.

I like Royal Canin GI low fat for dog that have had pancreatitis; it is a "prescription diet". You can get it from a veterinarian, or online from Chewy.com (but they have to contact your vet for a prescription before shipping it to you).

Please let me know when you see this, and if it is helpful, and what other questions I can answer.

How is Izzie doing? I did not hear from you.

Was this helpful and can I answer anything else?

I was doing some research. What causes pancreatitis - too much protein, too much fat, not enough water or what?
For dry foods in between her wet food which would be better - Dick Van Patten Natural Balance Potato Duck Formula small breed (which she has done very well on in the past) fat = 10%, protein = 21%, or Nutri Source Small Breed Chicken and Pea Formula Grain Free, fat = 18%, protein = 28 (maybe they have a lower fat version)?
For wet food which would be better, My Perfect Pet Natural Dog Food (myperfectpetfood.com) the beef blend is min 3.5% fat and min crude protein 10.4% or Just Food For Dogs (justfoodfordogs.com) which is recommended by our vet and she has done very well on it for several months but still gets sick for one day once or twice per month? We are checking out the Royal Canine at chewy.com today. I'll get back to you on that.
ps, Do you recommend a dry food that would be better than the two I mentioned?

We actually do not know the cause of pancreatitis. We know that being overweight, being over 4 years of age, and a high fat diet are risk factors. Certain breeds such as miniature Schauzers are more at risk.

10% fat in a dry food is not too bad but once a dog has had pancreatits you might want to try to go lower. 3.5% in a canned food it is not a low fat diet.

My recommendation for dry food is the Royal Canin GI low fat.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Please let me know if you have other questions, and if this was helpful!

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
She is usually fine but had an episode 2 nights ago and wouldn't eat and then was her normal self in the morning and are fine. It is off and on.
Is pancreatitis an infection or an autoimmune disease?

Pancreatitis is not an autoimmune disease or an infection. With chronic pancreatitis, there is chronic inflammation in the pancreas. I would compare it to the chronic inflammation in joints with arthritis, or chronic inflammation in the liver in certain cases of hepatitis.

We don't really know the cause. We know certain breeds are prone to it, so there may be a genetic component. We know overweight dogs, or dogs on high fat diets are prone to pancreatitis, but many overweight dogs never get it.

Thanks for the good rating and please let me know how she is doing and if you have more questions.

Thank you Rebecca!

You are welcome!