Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I need an expert opinion. Chihuahua mix, 9 years, female. I…

I need an expert...

I need an expert opinion

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

chihuahua mix, 9 years, female

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Chihuahua?

I took the dog to the vet last Feb 1 bec she stoppped eating that morning and would not want to move anymore. Prior to that she has been very thirsty and hungry and urinating a lot for the last 2 weeks. the vet did a blood test and urine test, she saw glucose in her urine. She immediately diagnosed her with diabetes without seeing the blood test results yet. Then she noticed the dog was not spayed so she ruled out diabetes and diagnosed her with pyometra after seeing the xray results. 3 days after the surgery the dog has not eating, losing so much weight and very weak when walking. I rushed her to the ER and found out she has DKA.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

What do you think was the mistake of the first Vet? Seems to be she missed to work on her diabetes and instead focused or pyometra which i think both was life threatening and should have been treated at the same time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Chihuahua's name?

No wound. Why. Coco is her name.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

She's now doing well and on insulin injection 2x a day. The surgery has healed i believe.

What should have been done the right way the first time and after the surgery to avoid the complications of diabetes?
2/13/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

It should be readily apparent to a vet's peers that if diabetes were suspected and apparently confirmed with not only an elevated blood glucose level but also glycosuria (glucose in the urine), an attempt to manage Coco's diabetes should have been made immediately whether or not pyometra was present. This would entail prescribing an initial "starting dose" of insulin with the understanding that the dose would change once Coco had recovered from pyometra. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

The Vet saw pyometra was urgent to perform that day, could she have administered the insulin first then perform the surgery with no danger to the dog's health?
I prefer a written response please. thanks

Yes, and that's just what I would have done. I would then have checked Coco's blood glucose levels during and post-surgery. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

in conclusion would you say there was some level of negligence or human error on the Vet's part?
Human error most likely due to inexperience on the matter?
Dr. are you still there?
I need a response please to the last question or I will close the file and classify as question not answered. thnks

I believe that misjudgement occurred. Whether or not the standard of care weren't met would need to be determined by peer review. Most local veterinary associations have peer review to which caretakers can send complaints and have them adjudicated. Negligence isn't a consideration.

Can i print this documentation?

Certainly.

I mean how do I print this from here? Or save as a file or send as an email?

I would take a print screen and then print that out. Customer service may have other ideas for you. You can contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us or 1-***-***-**** for help in that regard.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Can we continue?

Certainly.

because my dog ended up with the complications of Diabetes (DKA) due to the misjudgement of her first Vet, in your opinion would you say that the Vet Hospital is liable for the damages that caused it? I am making a monetary claim for the damages I incurred at the emergency pet hospital due to the health complications of my dog.

I can't determine fault from here. I was head of peer review for my local veterinary association and unless I took testimony from both parties it was unethical to pass judgement. Your next stop should be speaking to the attending vet directly and if you didn't receive satisfaction contact peer review of the local veterinary association to which the vet belongs. If there isn't such a review, you can contact your state's veterinary association.

Then what?
Contact the state vet association for what purpose?

If a ruling were made in your favor, you're more likely to receive compensation. Think of the association as an expert witness for you.

You mean to say to make a claim with them instead of the insurance company?

No, complaints are made to them. They can't order compensation. You would need to litigate that.

ok thanks

You're welcome. My best to Coco.