Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 10 year old shih Tzu and for the past month I

noticed her right paw has...
I have a 10 year old shih Tzu and for the past month I noticed her right paw has been shaking. When I feel her paw, I could feel the pulse beating very fast. The condition comes and goes. Now, it looks like the throbbing has spread around her eye and the back of her head. What is this condition called and do I need to take her to the vet?
Please help!
Thanks!
2/13/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

If you're able to see "throbbing" there's a good chance that she's hypertensive (elevated blood pressure) which can be assessed by her vet using a blood pressure cuff similar to those used in humans. If confirmed, the underlying cause of the hypertension needs to be determined and that will take careful auscultation (listening to) and X-rays of her heart and lungs as well as diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests because quite a few metabolic disorders can lead to hypertension as well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Are you saying that she will need to have an X-ray and blood pressure tests due to hypertension?Is there anything I can do to alleviate the hypertension?

I'm saying that hypertension first needs to be confirmed and if present, testing would be required to determine the cause and how it might best be addressed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Let's say it is hypertension, does she need to be placed on meds?

Yes, drug therapy would be needed. Ideally, it would be directed at the cause of the hypertension (e.g., heart or kidney disorders, diabetes mellitus) and if that cause could be eliminated, blood pressure reducers wouldn't be needed.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.