Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has a large soft mass at the top base of his tail, he is…

He has a large...

He has a large soft mass at the top base of his tail, he is an american bulldog, vet want to remove and biopsy, he aspirated it and got blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Frankie and he is 8

2/13/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this mass to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Need to take pic when I get home, can I send to you later

Sounds good. I'll watch for your next post.

Please see pics of Frankie's tail

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

This is the area called the "tail gland" in which sebaceous (oily) glands are present. They're likely to have become hyperplastic (benign hypertrophy of normal cells) which occurs as a localized idiopathic (unknown cause) condition. While excess glandular tissue can be surgically resected, please be aware that wound closure may be extremely difficult. In intact male dogs, castration may induce partial to complete regression or may prevent further lesion enlargement. Improvement should be seen within 2 months of castration. This is a cosmetic disease that doesn't affect a dog's quality of life. I would be very reluctant to entertain surgery for Frankie. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

He has been neutered

Thank you. Benign hypertrophy of the sebaceous glands/epidermoid cyst still are the most likely causes of that swelling. A cyst can be emptied but unless the cyst wall is completely removed, the cyst will reform. A talented surgeon should be enlisted for this work if surgery is chosen.

Your Frankie is now in my customer photo folder! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian