Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is losing hair around one eye. It was just a brow this…

She is losing hair...

She is losing hair around one eye. It was just a brow this morning but tonight it goes all the way around

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Bailey 3 yr old black lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?

Typically healthy. Her sister was just diagnosed with valley fever

2/13/2018
Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Dr Pulter. Please give me a moment to type up a reply to your question.
Hair loss in dogs can be frustrating. The simplest answer is that she is rubbing the hair off due to some other issue with her eye. It is possible that she could have some allergy that affects the area around the her eye, but that usually both eyes are involved. It will be very important to have it looked at by a veterinarian. They will likely do a few tests such as a skin scraping to look for mites, skin impression to look for infection and possibly a fungal culture. If there is something going on with her eyes then appropriate testing will be done for that. If you have a cone to place around her neck, this will help protect her eye from further damage until she can get in to see a veterinarian. I hope this has answered your question. Please reply with any additional questions. Rating me now will not close the question, so you can still continue the conversation.
She seems itchy I just gave her 25mg Benadryl. She is an 80 lb dog so 25 is low dose. Want to see if the itchy goes down.
You can certainly try to see if that helps.
I will call the vet in the morning. Thanks
Hello are you there?
Aww she's so cute. It does look like the eye is rubbed. But I can't make any diagnosis online. You will definitely need to keep it protected until you can see your vet.
Thanks so much I appreciate your help. Goodnight.
You're very welcome. Have a good one
Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Chelsea Pulter