Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 75 pound golden retriever swallowed 6 Ativan pills, while…

My 75 pound golden...

My 75 pound golden retriever swallowed 6 Ativan pills, while we were gone

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Golden Retriever will be able to digest that. What is the Golden Retriever's name and age?

Chief, 1.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chief?

He is acting fine at the moment

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/13/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

He may have done it up to 4 hours ago? That's how long we were gone

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Can you make any estimate how long ago this may have happened { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. What strength was the Ativan { In mg }?

I'm sorry it was diazepam 5mg. 6 are missing

Got it, just working out the toxicity and then I will quickly type up your answer.

Ok

Hello again,

Good news! The chances are that Scout will be just fine, however, I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. Diazepam is in fact prescribed for dogs quite frequently so is not toxic to them as such. A typical dose rate would be up to 1 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given orally every six hours, meaning a top dose of 75 mg in Chief's case.

2. So clearly the 30 mg he took is well within a published dose rate so really any serious side effects will not be expected, perhaps a little lethargy, but that's about it.

3. Please follow this link to check the accuracy of my answer and read more about how this drug is used in dogs: LINK

4. Given the above there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on your dog. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Scout's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

My dogs name is***** this info for him?? I want to make sure??

So sorry, I was typing up your answer quite fast, no idea where Scout came from.

But the answer is for a 75-pound Golden Retriever which swallowed up to six 5 mg diazepam. { Started of as Ativan }

Ok. Thank you so much!! I will keep a very close watch on my boy!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

The chances are Chief will be just fine, but please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Chief is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the accidental diazepam ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?