Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 12 years old. He's 'hacking, for lack of better…

My dog is 12...

My dog is 12 years old. He's 'hacking, for lack of better terms. When I you tube it, it honestly sounds like kennel cough. He hacks when excited but if I calm him he's ok. This is the 2nd day. We have 5 dogs total but they are inside dogs and we have a fenced in back yard so I can't figure how he would of been exposed. He had these same issues several years ago and when I took him to vet they said it was allergies. I'm just trying to figure out if I should keep treating for now or go ahead and get him in. He's no more lethargic than usual, continues to eat and drink. Truly acting normal other than the hacking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Cooper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cooper?

He had parvo as a pup, he's 12 now. Otherwise healthy. Had allergies whole life with skin irritants but been cleared up for few years with diet.

2/11/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Cooper. While any age dog can cough due to a simple respiratory infection such as the infectious tracheobronchitis complex ("kennel cough") I need to consider more dire causes of coughing in a 12 year old - advanced cardiopulmonary disorders such as congestive heart failure, chronic sterile bronchitis, heartworm disease, pneumonias, and neoplasia in the chest cavity. Cooper's vet will want to carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray his chest as part of a thorough physical exam. The diagnosis of kennel cough should be circumspect when other dogs in the home remain asymptomatic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

at this point you're saying take him to vet do not treat at home? Other dogs have no symptoms

Yes, and at your earliest convenience as coughing at Cooper's age can be a sign of life-threatening disorders. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Ok. Being Sunday our vet is not open only emergency vet which is very expensive. He should be fine to wait til tomorrow right? As long as he's laying he's ok, it's when moving around or barking. Should he be isolated from other dogs or my small kids?

To assess the urgency of having Cooper attended to, please check his vital signs for me...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate . He should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

His gums are pink and black but he's got chow in him so that's normal. Breathing is right at 30 but my 3 year old wouldn't stop getting him excited too. And I only have a scann thermometer.

Thank you. I don't see the need for emergent care at this time. Please watch those vital signs until he can be attended to by his vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Ok thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian