My dog ate a tea bag. Clover, 4 Beagle, about 19 pounds. 4 years old. No medical issues

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog ate a tea bag
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Clover, 4 Beagle, about 19 pounds
JA: How old is Clover?
Customer: 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clover?
Customer: No, no medical issues
Answered by Dr. Christina in 5 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Christina
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian here to help answer your questions. Are you available to talk about Clover?

Customer
Hi, yes.

Welcome. Can I ask what type of tea? And if there were any sweeteners in or around it?

Customer
It was black tea in an empty cup. There had been sugar in the tea, but the cup was basically dry.

Gotcha. She will likely be just fine. She is large enough that should pass through. I would recommend to feed her something very bulky - like 2-3 slices of thick bread. This will help to ball it up and move it on through. There should not be any toxicity from this either.

Customer
There was a small staple in the tea bag. Is that a concern?

No. It will pass with everything else. Also why the bread will help to ball it up and protect her stomach and intestines from the staple if the edges are out.

Customer
OK great. Thank you so much. Would something like rice work too? I think I might only have raisin bread, and I know that wouldn't be good for her.

Haha. yes no raisin bread. You can do rice. I would do 1 cup now, and then another cup in a few hours. That should help to push it on through. YOu can also monitor her poop for the bag. You should see it in 24-48 hours.

Customer
OK, and no worries about the caffeine?

No. There is minimal caffeine in it compared to coffee or chocolate. I doubt he will experience anything. Especially if it was already steeped.

Customer
OK great. Thanks for the advice and the peace of mind.

You're very welcome. Let me know if you think of anything else.

*********************************************************************************

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service (using the STARS) once you have all the information you need so I can continue to help others on this site. You are still able to ask me questions even after you rate. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Christina
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Christina
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Christina
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.