Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She just got groomed and now has a swollen uncomfortable…

Customer Question
Hi She just got...

Hi She just got groomed and now has a swollen uncomfortable vulva. Can I spray Genta Spray-will that help? I just rinsed the area in clean water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Rover 1 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rover?

No, Just that it seems to be a reaction to being groomed. shampoo?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Do you think your dog's vulva area may have been traumatised in some way by the clippers?

Could be but is not bleeding so I thought maybe reaction to shampoo? We have mobile groomer come to our home.

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

thank you. i have gents spray so didn't know if that would make her more comfortable
gentaspray
gentamicin sulfate
You still there?

Sure, busy typing up your answer, you will have it very shortly ...

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Rove has this problem, hopefully it is something very minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The best thing to do in this sort of situation would be to apply hydrocortisone cream to the area twice a day for five days or so, this is a" human " over the counter product, this is probably more or less what I would do if presented with such a case at a clinic.

2. Hydrocortisone cream is actually quite a potent preparation and will act to reduce inflammation where the skin has been irritated and will also reduce inflammation due to allergies. If Rover should lick a little of it and swallow some the chances are it will not harm her in any way.

3. In the meantime, until you can pick up the hydrocortisone cream the Gentaspray is a good idea as it contains an antibiotic and also a hydrocortisone component, just clean the are with warm salt water, gently dab it dry with some clean kitchen paper and then apply the Gentaspray, do this three times a day. But applying the hydrocortisone cream directly may give you better results though.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Rover's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...