Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She was playing with a ball outside and twisted her ankle.

Customer Question
She was playing with...

She was playing with a ball outside and twisted her ankle

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Gypsy, she is 2 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gypsy?

No, she is a perfectly healthy 2 yr old.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Which leg is affected? Is she putting any weight on it when she walks? Is there any swelling?

Left front leg, yes she is walking on it and no there is not any swelling

Thank you. If she is not on any medications, you can give her human aspirin for pain.

The dose is 10 mg per pound.

So take her weight and multiply it by 10.

That is how many mg to give her.

Give the aspirin with a large meal to help prevent gastrointestinal upset.

Hold an ice pack over the injured area, for twenty minutes an hour, until bedtime.

It sounds like a sprain.

If it starts to swell, or the limping gets worse, or she has not improved in 48 hour then she should see the vet.

The aspirin can be given every 12 hours as needed. : )

Did all of that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

that makes sense and no I got the answer I was looking for kinda figured the same. Thank you!

Glad to help. So no playing ball or running and jumping until the limping resolves.