Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 year old Yorkie just passed bloody diarrhea. My vet…

Customer Question
My 8 year old...

My 8 year old Yorkie just passed bloody diarrhea. My vet closed at 5:00. He has not shown any signs of sickness and is current on all his immunizations.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

No, he’s always been healthy.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any vomiting?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Is he lethargic?

4- Is he on any medications?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

No, vomiting and no to everything else - he is a little lethargic. But he’s 8 and very low energy anyway.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

When we see bloody diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do until he is seen by your vet for a hands-on examination:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination and fecal analysis as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter