Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My cavapoo suffers with pancreatitis she’s been on a special…

Hi my cavapoo suffers with...
Hi my cavapoo suffers with pancreatitis she’s been on a special low fat diet and hasn’t had a flair up for months today however she’s very uncomfortable I can’t get any reply from my vets she is panting quite a lot will giving her omepraze or gabapentin help till I can take her to the vets tomorrow
2/6/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I just need to know what I can give her ie omeprazole or gabapentin

I'm sorry to hear that your pup seems painful today, likely due to a flare up of pancreatitis.

Omeprazole is probably the best acid reducer drug for dogs with pancreatitis, I would definitely recommend using it. Give Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours as needed.

Gabapentin is a pain medication that is considered safe to give to dogs with pancreatitis. But it works much better as an add on drug, in combination with other primary pain medications like buprenorphine, or fentanyl or Tramadol. Rarely it can cause diarrhea and stomach upset in some dogs.

I would start with omeprazole. If she is no better in 2-3 hours you can add Gabapentin.

A usual dose range for Gabapentin in dogs would be 5mgs to 14mgs per pound of body weight, every 8 to 12 hours.

Make sure the product you have does NOT contain xylitol. Some fast melt and liquid preparations contain xylitol and that artificial sweetener is highly toxic for dogs.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Of course if she is actively vomiting it is time for an emergency clinic. Otherwise just have her see her usual veterinarian and definitely use omeprazole in the meantime.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hi Lorraine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara