Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppies wont stop pooping its like 6 times a day in the…

Customer Question
My puppies wont stop...

My puppies wont stop pooping its like 6 times a day in the cage ever sice they go their shots 8 days ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the puppy's name?

Porkchop and Peanut

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pets today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Are the stools formed and of normal consistancy?

How old are Porkchop and Peanut?

Did they receive any deworming medicine at the time of the vaccines?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

They are 10.5 weeks old yes they received deworming and the poop is normalssybe a little runny sometimes but all the Do is poop in the cage even after they come in they go poop

Thank you for the prompt reply.

It is quite normal for puppies to have intestinal parasites, even if they are coming from a clean environment and even if you are not seeing any signs of "worms". If there are any parasites living in the intestines, it can set off an inflammation in the lining of the gut which can lead to softer stools and other GI abnormalities. If the gut is inflammed, it can lead to a sense of urgency to pass stool and even the most well trained dog may have a harder time not defecating more frequently. Add to that, in puppies of this age, they are probably not fully potty trained yet so they have an even more difficult time keeping their crate clean.

How long does this usually last

If you are not yet doing this, I would limit their feedings to three times a day or even twice a day if they are eating well. Do not allow them to eat all day or graze. Pick any left over food up after about 20 minutes. I would also have your vet check their stool for parasites and consistency and determine if they may need to have a medication to help the gut if the stools are too soft. Sometimes probiotics are used in young dogs to create a better GI bacterial flora.

Can I buy that at the store

When I see pups with stools abnormal due to intestinal parasites, they usually improve after a couple of dewormings and sometimes additional medications or supplements to help. Keep in mind that deworming meds only treat the adult worms in the gut at the time they are given. The do not treat the migrating larval forms of the worm and that is why it is repeated for couple of cycles.

There are a lot of probiotic products on the market for humans and for dogs, but unfortunately, many do not contain what they say they do and as such, may be ineffective. I like the product made by Purina called Fortilora LINK HERE If the stools are not improving however, I would let your vet know so they can decide what else may need to be done.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.