Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just to say my cat has swallowed a piece of cellophane about…

Just to say my cat...
Just to say my cat has swallowed a piece of cellophane about 1 cm by 2cm I think (chewed off a larger piece). She did try and bring up something, but just froth, and I found an area of pink tinged fluid with two tiny specks of blood on the floor where I think she was maybe sick earlier. That was about two hours ago and she was hungry for breakfast and ate some soft food. I am going to keep a very close eye on her and follow your advice that was give in 2006 to another cat owner... feed soft food, keep a close eye, vaseline on paws and contact vet urgently if signs unwell. I also have some laxative paste the vet gave so I will give a little of that (I think it is stool softener).
So...thankyou for the answer in 2006! Thanks for this website!
2/4/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your cat, please?

A piece of cellophane of that size should pass through her gastrointestinal tract unaided. I'm concerned that you saw evidence of hematemesis - blood in vomitus, however. Is it possible that she ingested more than the cellophane?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Fortunately she seems OK. She is eating normally and is coming to get food when offered as usual. No more sickness. She is also playing normally. I don't think she got anything else, certainly nothing obvious, though she has been known to eat feathers and elastic bands in the past. I am keeping a close eye on her. Fortunately I have very good vets who know her well, so if I am worried at all tomorrow I can call them.
Don't be concerned re time of response... it was early morning and with hindsight I should have put "urgent" probably. Also I think I asked at least twice as I was confused by it saying dog veterinarian, so resent!
Thank you.

Thank you for the good update and your understanding. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Have bookmarked just in case. Hopefully all will be well. Thank you!

It's my pleasure.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian