Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has vomited liquid twice tonite. Behavior seems ok. I…

My dog has vomited...

My dog has vomited brown liquid twice tonite. Behavior seems ok. I hear stomach sounds and I don't think her heart rate is too fast

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Keika 8 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Keika?

I don't think so

2/4/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- What breed is your dog?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Any other symptoms?

Nothing out of 5he ordinary . She us flat coated retriever.90 lbs.no other conditions. She seems extra thirsty

I am sorry for the delay in response I had some technical problems at this end. In response to your question, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. If she is drinking more than usual this can be an indication of diabetes, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney disease, etc. to name a few causes. All of these diseases can cause her to vomit. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need hands-on examination by a veterinarian and blood work as an initial screening test. Highly recommend having her checked in the morning by a veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do for the vomiting:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter