Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My half-miniature schnauzer/half cocker-spaniel is showing…

Customer Question
My half-miniature schnauzer/half cocker-spaniel...

My half-miniature schnauzer/half cocker-spaniel is showing signs of discomfort around her anus. She keeps jumping up like something bit her and then spends a lot of time licking herself. Other times she seems to be "chasing her tail" or at least constantly turning around to look at her tail or like she is trying to see if it smells? I laid her down to see what was going on tonight after I picked her up and put her on my lapt and she winced when I moved her tail. I noticed a pale yellow discharge discharge when I started squeezing around a little. Is this normal? When she was little her anal sacs would get cleaned out when she was groomed but then I moved and the new groomer says they don't like to do it too often. I requested it be done last time because I was noticing some "scooting' with her half-sister but not sure it was done.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Michonne. She is two years old. I have her on Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain formula

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

I squeezed out as much as I could until it stopped coming out but she still seems uncomfortable and still licking a lot

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is very healthy. Not been spayed. She stays inside and is walked regularly on a leash. no problems ever

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/4/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

So sorry to hear your dog is uncomfortable! It sounds like the anal glands are full and irritating, expressing them from the outside may express some of the gland but unfortunately if deep they may require a veterinarian or technician to express them for you at this point to ensure they are not infected. I have clients that the groomer won't express them and they simply have us do it regularly to minimize the risk of abscessing and irritation as your little one is experiencing

Here is more information on anal glands in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/body-structure-function/anal-glands-in-dogs

Until you are able to get this done there are a few things you can do:
- Warm compresses on the rear to help loosen the material in the glands
- Increase the bulk of the stool with fiber such as white rice, canned pumpkin (1 tsp for her size twice daily), or supplementing the normal diet with a light formula diet
- Increase exercise with leash walks 15+ minutes 2-3 times daily to increase defecation of the larger stools
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound given every 8 hours until you can get this taken care of but may cause mild sedation initially

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 10 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Thank you.
This is very helpful.
I have to take her to be boarded (at the vets) Monday and will ask them to take a look. In the meantime will try the things you suggested!
Many thanks!
Darla

You are very welcome. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!