Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She saw the vet the other day. They confirmed she is

She saw the vet...

She saw the vet the other day. They confirmed she is pregnant and close to how many puppies. But not sure on the due date.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

My boxer is 5. I believe this is her first pregnancy. The vet told me she is for sure past her 45 day mark

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/3/2018
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question! Dog's are pregnant for only around 63 days. When did your vet confirm the pregnancy and estimate around 45 days?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Wednesday of this week. They told me she is atleast 45 days. They know that because their bones showed up in the xray
I also have the x-ray I can send for more info. If you need it

Thanks for that. Yes, their bones can show up from day 40 of pregnancy, but we can't tell much more than that in terms of timeline. So, we can safely say that your girl has at the most around 14 - 18 days until she is due to whelp. It is quite possible however, that is could be significantly less than that, as bones visible on xray just tells us that it is as least 40 days, but could even be up over 63 days. If you can remember when her last 'season' was, that may help, but you are likely better to keep an eye out for signs of your girl nesting and whelping. There is an excellent guide online here: http://pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-diseases-conditions-a-z/what-expect-when-your-dog%E2%80%99s-labor . One of the key measurements is a drop in rectal temperature, so it may be worth measuring that now and keeping and eye on it over the next couple of weeks to get a better idea of when she is due to whelp.

Let me know if you need any more assistance!

All the best,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc