Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is a Maltese. He has skin allergies. He itches and will

Morgan is a Maltese...

Morgan is a Maltese . He has skin allergies. He itches and will scratch till he’s red. He also gets a lot of yeast infections. Around his eyes are red and very irritated. I’ve taken him to the vet many times. All the pills and topical medicine does not help. Just cost a lot of money . He gets no relief.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Whar can I do to help him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Morgan and he is 4 years

2/3/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Morgan has a history of skin allergies that are not responding to treatments. I am sorry this is happening. This can be a complicated situation, but I can definitely help you get the right combination of treatments to help Morgan feel better. Can you please tell me a little more about Morgan so I can guide you correctly? First, what medications have been tried for Morgan? Second, where does Morgan appear to itch or have redness on the skin the most (i.e. paws, abdomen, arm pits, tail base, etc.)?

all of the above except his tail.
His medications are KETOCONAZILE 200 mg
APOQUEL 3.6mg
GENTIZOL
He also takes
TRAMADL 50 mg
DREAMAXX 25mg
Also :::/
CHLORHEXADERM SOLUTION
FOR HIS INFEXTED FEET FROm
ITCHING

Thank you. Have any antibiotics or steroids been given?

No
Can I bathe him with gentle shampoo or soak him in water with a little baking soda?

Thank you. I am typing my response now. Please bear with me a moment.

Our vet prescribed KETOHEX SHAMPOO. Is it possible he is allergic to all this
Medicine?

The main issue with a skin flare up and chronic allergies is the recurrence of bacteria and/or yeast overgrowth on the skin. There is always a risk with a skin allergy condition to have a superficial dermatitis breakout, which manifests with redness and moisture. It is not possible to get a normal skin condition with any of the treatments you mentioned if there is a chronic bacteria overgrowth. This bacteria is usually the regular staph bacteria found on the skin. Yeast organisms can also grow on the skin and dogs can get allergies to that. However, ketoconazole usually helps keep that controlled. Antibiotics are only needed when there is an acute flare up of dermatitis. This is found by a veterinarian performing a cytology on an area of skin redness. Antibiotics are given and the dermatitis resolves and Morgan can be maintained on Apoquel and ketoconazole.

In acute flare up situations, a steroid injection is often needed to help reduce the breakout inflammation. Any secondary ear infections or flea bites should also be identified and resolved - these are common secondary conditions in dogs with skin allergies. This approach typically puts people in a better position. There is nothing wrong about the items you are using, most notably the Apoquel, ketoconazole, and chlorhexidine solution for the feet. It just needs to have the dermatitis resolved and the inflammation reduced.

Finally, if another approach is needed there is an allergen-specific immunotherapy available. This is performed by performing either a blood or skin allergy panel to find out what Morgan is allergic to and then giving those allergens at concentrated doses to inhibit the allergic reaction. The research shows this treatment results in a reduction of itch by at least half 80% of the time.

Morgan is not likely having an allergy to the medications. He is having a chronic superficial dermatitis that likely needs antibiotics. You can bathe him with gentle shampoo and use a little baking soda. That will be fine and is safe to do.

Thank you. I’ll take Morgan to have blood and skin
panels and request antibiotics. I’m going to give him a bath. Thank you. Barbara

You're welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. We can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Dog Veterinarian
***** ***** is very kind and patient. He give you direct answers about a question.
He talks on a level you can understand which is so important . Thank you again Dr Perry
4STr raring
5 STARS FOR DR PERRY
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian