Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Great Pyrenees puppy that is 4wks old. Started them…

Customer Question
I have a Great...

I have a Great Pyrenees puppy that is 4wks old. Started them on can food and was eating very well. Then one was a little more lathargic than the other puppies in litter. Then she quite eating. I brought her home from barn (parents are working dogs on our farm) and gave her some Amoxacillian. After 2 doses (12 hrs apart) she was walking around and drinking a little store bought milk). She was whimpering and seemed to be searching so I took her back to barn with her litter mates. She seemed to settle down. Then that evening she started whimpering more. Brought her back to the house and she will not drink. She walks aimlessly and stumbles. She has had a few episodes that seems like she seizing then she has bubbles comes out of her nose and mouth. She whimpers a lot and it hard to settle. She has 3 does of Amoxicillian.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. What is the dog's name?

Anne

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Anne?

She has not had any shots yet or wormer

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Has Anne had a veterinary visit yet? How often are you seeing seizures? When did she last eat a normal meal? The milk you're using, is this puppy milk replacer or cow's milk?

Going to the vet when they open in 2 hrs. It is cows milk. She drank about 1oz this morning. She has not ate anything in 3 days and turns her nose away every time.

You'll need to discontinue the cow's milk immediately. This is not suitable for replacement nutrition in dogs and can cause intense cramping of the intestines and diarrhea, which can exacerbate or cause dehydration. Use something like esbilac in place of the cow's milk: https://www.chewy.com/petag-esbilac-puppy-milk-replacer/dp/125376?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=PetAg&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiA78XTBRBiEiwAGv7EKg7h7Tfh0VuZZFu1DjexZY-s14Qlkl6fOyBSmZHU1cg6Ws_wLVfhlBoCvRUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Most vet offices and pet stores carry this. At this age and with her symptoms, your vet is going to want to at least check a fecal analysis on her and may also want to check bloodwork, check a snap test for parvo, giardia, etc. Since she has not been eating well and you mentioned that you witnessed a potential seizure, I would immediately give her a few drops of honey, regular syrup, corn syrup or sugar water orally. Keep this up every 2-3 hours to help keep her blood sugar elevated. When puppies don't eat their glucose can drop which can cause seizures. I do think you're taking the best approach today in having this puppy seen. I am concerned about underlying conditions like intestinal parasites, protozoan or viruses making this baby ill. This often happens first with the most immune compromised member of a litter and may progressively occur with others in the litter as time goes on, as well. Talk to your vet today about having a plan in place if others begin to feel unwell.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800