Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our yellow lab (who has never shown an interest in garbage)

Our yellow lab (who...

Our yellow lab (who has never shown an interest in garbage) decided to get into ur garbage last week and ate (we think) 6 used tampons. She threw up three and two came out the other end, but we haven’t seen the last one. It’s been six days so we assumed our count was off, but, she just threw up. She been eating and drinking just fine and her temperature is normal. Should we be worried about intestinal blockage? She doesn’t seem to have any other symptoms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She’s 11 years old if that makes a difference

1/24/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Uunfortunately this is still a risk even after this length of time. I would see if you have a veterinary radiologist in your area who can perform an abdominal ultrasound to ensure there is no cause for concern. In the meanwhile:

First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination and consider a veterinary radiology ultrasound to determine the next step to getting her comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is and whether it is related to the tampon ingestion.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Hi Jennifer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman