Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can seizures lead to vestibular disease? Or could vestibular…

Can seizures lead to...

Can seizures lead to vestibular disease? Or could vestibular disease be the cause of seizures?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Bailey, 4 y/o Lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bailey?

Four years old as of December.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?

Diagnosed with epilepsy last summer, has been taking phenobarbital until this week. He started having cluster seizures and keppra was added. Had a very long seizure on Friday. Zonisemide was added. He is not himself. Walks into corners, presses his head into tight spaces. Drunk/walk

1/24/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Just so I can get my facts straight, was she diagnosed with vestibular disease as well as epilepsy?

No, he was not. I looked up his current symptoms and they seem to match vestibular disease.

Ok thank you. The vestibular system and the system that causes seizures (the frontal lobe) are different parts of the brain, but sometimes when a dog as bad bought of seizures, it can cause inflammation in the brain, which can lead to other neurological symptoms, such as vestibular disease. Sometimes these changes can be transient and resolve in a few days, other times theses symptoms can be permanent, it usually takes a week or two to be sure. I would recommend taking him to the vet to have them check his ears to make sure his inner ear isn't the underlying cause of his vestibular symptoms, but from what you're describing it is far more likely for these signs to be more caused by the long seizure he had.

Thank you for your response. Could this be a permanent condition? Is there treatment for such? We have an appointment with his vet tomorrow. I described his current symptoms and she was very concerned. It is heartbreaking to see him like this. Could he be in pain?

You're welcome. It could be permanent, it's too early to tell at this point. I'm sorry you're going through this and for him as well. The good news is this usually isn't a painful condition, so that is good news.

These new symptoms seem to come and go. He seems blind as he is walking around with his head tilted upward. He trotted right into a parked car in our garage. We will follow up with our vet and take it from there. I don’t even want to think of what his quality of life may be if this is permanent. My husband thinks that Bailey may have to be euthanized. I don’t know. Thank you again for responding to my questions.

You're welcome. I hope this will be transient and he can get back to some normalcy. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian