Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She seems to have pain in her stomach and keeps stretching…

Hi she seems to...

Hi she seems to have pain in her stomach and keeps stretching bottom up head down, very restless, and clingy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

She is an 8yr old rescue dog ***** *****

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

I don't think so, she was fine until last night I think it may be that she needs to go to the toilet and could be constipated

1/23/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Any vomiting?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
since late last night, she had a couple of cooked bacon bones , no pre existing conditions, not sure but I would say maybe at a guess around 15ibs I can barely lift her she is tall and solid for a ***** *****, no vomiting, no just sticking to me like glue her name is Tess.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, you are right, her behavior is consistent with abdominal pain. Possible causes are pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), ingestion of foreign body, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. In this case, I would recommend having her checked by ER veterinarian, it is important to rule out pancreatitis. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by your vet in the morning:

1- Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. Do not give over the counter pain medicine most are toxic to dogs.

2- Take away the food; water is okay as long as she is not vomiting. Leave her without food until she is seen by your vet in the morning.

3- Follow up in the morning with your family veterinarian. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are any form of Rennies ok as that is the only thing I have at home they are for stomach upsets

If you can not pick up Pepcid AC in the pharmacy do not give anything. Best if you leave her without.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hello she is now back to her normal self, so thank you , yes I did rate you.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian