Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm looking for some reassurance, in all honesty. My 4 year…

Hello!I'm looking for some reassurance...
Hello!I'm looking for some reassurance, in all honesty. My 4 year old ***** ***** Terrier just consumed about 1-1.5tbsp (so, a very small amount indeed) of Onion -- actually she jumped up while I was out of the room and just stole them off my plate (I had avoided eating them from the pizza...) -- I know Onions can be toxic to dogs, and although this was an extremely small amount, I'm still concerned.My local vets are very closed, and for some reason there's no emergency contact listed on their telephone at present. Any advice given the circumstances would be most appreciated. Thanks!
1/23/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I would not worry in the slightest about that sort of very small amount of onion, this will be very unlikely to have affected Tia at all, she should be just fine. You see the situation is that while it is true that onions can be toxic to dogs due thiosulphate poisoning I am glad to say that it actually takes quite a lot of onions to be toxic to dogs, the rule of thumb which I personally apply is that a single meal of one pound of onions can be dangerous to a 15 pound dog. { Which is quite a small dog }

2. Given the above, there are no special precautions you need take. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Tia's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
That's wonderful news! Thank you for the concise and clear response, it's truly appreciated.I'll naturally keep an eye on Tia, but honestly it was no more than a tablespoon -- 4 individual pieces of onions, such as on a pizza. Well under a pound, at any rate!

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Will do! Interestingly enough, it was your wonderful website (vetblog.net) that I had originally read your comment pertaining to onion toxicity prior to raising this chat. A small world indeed, I feel -- but your site is a wonderful resource as well!

So glad I could help ...

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tia. How is everything going?