Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Hes been making a hoarse gagginng sound and i never noticed…

Hes been making a...

Hes been making a hoarse gagginng sound and i never noticed hes adams apple being so prominent.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Could he have thyroid problems or what.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Hes acting like hes gagging to throw up but hes not and sometimes he give a hoarse choking sound.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that i know of.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Cody 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cody?

I never noticed that his adams apple was so prominent before i worry it could have something to do with the other symptoms.

1/23/2018
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I might be of some help.

A swelling in a dogs neck as you've described makes me concerned about enlarged lymph nodes and/or possibly an enlarged thyroid. I have seen a fair number of dogs with thyroid tumors that are presented because of gagging/retching types of behaviors - the mass can cause compression of the airways in this area causing the signs. That being said, this is impossible to say without at least a physical examination, so what you really need to do for this is schedule to have him looked at, described the gagging that he's doing and ask them to feel the area of the neck you are concerned may be abnormal, and go from there. If the area does feel abnormal, they might suggest aspirating it (poking it with a needle to get a small sample). They might also suggest x-rays of his neck / chest to assess further. And other suggestions might be made depending on other exam findings. My hope is that given Cody's young age it is not something concerning like this, but I would definitely suggest getting him checked out with at least a physical examination. If a physical examination is completely normal they might suggest some palliative treatments for the gagging episodes or suggest monitoring at this time.

I hope that helps with your question. If you have additional followup questions kindly write me back and I will reply as soon as I am able to.

Also, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars at this time, so that I receive credit for helping with your question tonight, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you I will get him in to the Dr

You are very welcome, hopefully it is nothing major but good to get this checked out. Thanks for kindly rating. Have a good night! - Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian