Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My brother’s dog and my dog ate maybe 10 75mg truprofen. My…

My brother’s dog and my...
My brother’s dog and my dog ate maybe 10 75mg truprofen. My brothers dog had thrown up about 5x, no blood and is acting normal. Do I need to take her the vet er
1/23/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi!

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

How heavy is she?

How long ago?

Paul

She is about 30lbs. I don’t know if the lab ate any. It happened sometime today between 1pm- 5pm central time

Is your brothers dog the 30lb one and yours the lab?

Paul

Correct.

Okay, well the best thing that could have happened is the vomiting

These signs are consistent with the dosage ingested

The concern is that if the smaller one ate all of the tablets then she received a dosage of about 50.0 mg/lg

That is in the range to cause GI signs and potentially some kidney damage (though closer to 70/80.0 mg/kg)

The vomiting would have removed the pills hopefully- but we dont know how long they were in the system

As such it would be prudent to have her blood tested tomorrow to ensure that the kidney values are normal

Make sense?

Paul

I will definitely do that. Is there any OTC medicine I should give her tonight?

Yes, I would give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg three times a day.

Lets give 1/4 of a 75.0 mg tablet three times a day

Okay?

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Got it. Thank you very much

Very welcome

Update me tomorrow please

Paul

Hi Julie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

DocPaul