Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 pound puppy just ate a half a teabag. Ruby. Sorry

My 12 pound puppy...

My 12 pound puppy just ate a half a teabag

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?

Ruby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ruby?

Sorry Yvette just called me back and he said there's nothing to worry about except for the bag itself but the bag is fine but I got a lot about caffeine online can be poisonous oh

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

What type of tea was it?

Paul

Lipton cold brew regular tea

Thanks

And to confirm- Ruby did not eat anything other than the bag itself?

Paul

I can't call to expensive

Dont need to call

Sorry about this stupid site- Always asks client when vets dont need one

Paul

Ruby did not eat the bag itself only the contents between half to two thirds of the tea itself
It's ok Animal Poison Control want to charge me $59

Thanks

I am not that worried here

The worst we will see is a little elevation in heart rate....maybe

Can you check that now for me- put hand on chest just behind left elbow

Paul

Ok what should it feel lije
Like sorry

I need a number- beats per minute :)

Just put your hand on chest and feel the beat there

Paul

Ok hang on
Well my son did it and got 130 I did and got 84

I trust your number

84 is good

We have nothing to worry about

No need to worry and no treatment needed

I hope that helps!

Paul

Thank you so much could I give her benadryl to calm her I think she lucked her incision it looks raw in a very small area

Is she hyperactive or panting/anxious?

Paul

She was hyperactive she seems calmer than before
No panting she doesn't seem anxious but we just got her I don't know her that well

Okay

I would just let her alone

The Benadryl may or may not sedate her a little bit but I would rather not give her anything

Update me later tonight or first thing tomorrow AM

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

Should I stay up till a certain time to make sure she is safe

No

We are good to go

Paul

Thank you so much you will be receiving a five very thorough have a goodnight and thanks for being there

Very welcome

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Ruby went to sleep for a nap I woke her to go potty and she is reenergized but since she slept I think the caffine is out of her system

Good stuff

Have a good evening

Paul

It is GREAT stuff this mom is so relieved thanks again for being there you have a good night too

Great!

Thanks for the update

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian