Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

When I rub my dogs ears, I hear a "wattery" sound in the…

When I rub my dogs...
When I rub my dogs ears, I hear a "wattery" sound in the right ear and not the left. The hair inside that ear is a tiny bit darker but not wet or oily. What can I put in her ear to dry it up? She does not seem to be in pain but she does love to have her ears rubbed and shows a preference to this right ear. She does occasionally shake her head. I try to keep her ears clean but careful not to insert anything. I have in the past put people wax meds in that ear and just cleaned it. What do you suggest I put into her ear?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Peaches. Do you feel that the right ear has a little more of an "off" odor to it? Does she scratch at it at all?

No odor. Maybe once in a while she will scratch carefully. But she does not act like she is in any pain. I am careful not to get water in her ears when I bath her. Just seems like she is uncomfortable at times and she definitely favors me massaging that ear. She will actually turn her head to get me to rub that ear. As I now think -- this is the same side I had to get a sticker out of her eye. Four days of washing out the eye and putting in creams in order for me to see a corner of the sticker. Turned out to be a BIG long pointy sticker. But maybe that could have caused some type of infection in the ear canal. I have some various antibiotics. Some for people and some for horses. I will look for them and give you the names.

When there is a watery sound in an ear and some darkness there, the early beginning of an ear infection would be suspicious. They can have either bacteria, yeast or a combination of the two start up an ear infection. An over the counter ear cleaner like Epi-Otic (here is the link) can be used to clean the ear once a day for a week to help remove debris. It can get very mild issues to respond, but typically a topical antibiotic / anti fungal treatment is needed too.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=oticalm+ear+solution&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=176943975357&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1752330013051187327&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021923&hvtargid=aud-394184471507:kwd-944033608&ref=pd_sl_72z61fvnk8_b

Have 3 dog eye meds. polymyxin b = neopolygram = atropine. Would you say I could use one of these in her ears? Cant find the horse med right now but it is for upper respiratory inflamation and I would have to use just the tip of a teaspoon for her size. Also, what about Nyquil or some other type of antihistamine?

I wouldn't use any of those eye medications in the ear. I wouldn't use any oral medications for this either. More than likely, if this is an ear infection, it is very early. The best thing to do would be to let your vet check Peaches over and to then get the correct medications going to not make it more of an issue and to get it effectively treated. I know this is not the easiest in some situations, but it will take care of it the best.

OK, I guess you are right. I really shouldn't try to cut costs with her health. Just had a electrical surge in my house and it blew out everything that was not on a surge supressor so trying to cut corners. Guess I would rather have my puppy well rather than a new oven or microwave. Thank you for your advice.

I'm sorry to hear about the electrical surge that did such damage to the electronics in the house. I know when I had an electrician at my house a few months ago, they worked hard to try and sell the install of a surge protector on the main circuit "in case of a lightning strike". I may have to reconsider taking them up on it. It shouldn't be an expensive visit to get this situation with her ear addressed. In the long run, getting it treated correctly sooner typically means a quicker / more effective treatment than letting it fester and it more than likely getting more challenging to treat and more costly. I'm hoping for the best for her!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peaches. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian