Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pit puppy 6 months old got a hold of my ativan 1mg not…

My pit puppy 6...

My pit puppy 6 months old got a hold of my ativan 1mg not sure how many were in it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?

She ate my 1mg ativan she weighs about 35lbs is 6 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Harley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

No that's all thank you

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

Thank you
No thank you

No problem regarding the phone call, glad to give you a written answer here, but please tell me how long ago this happened { How many minutes or hours ago }?

About 3 hours

Got it, typing up your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. It is now too late to try to recover any swallowed Ativan by inducing vomiting since this should be done in the first hour after ingestion. So all you can really do now is to keep an eye on Harley and then contact an ER vet if any adverse symptoms appear and you become further concerned.

2. This drug is used off-label by some vets and the dose rate to some extent would be at their discretion depending on what you wanted to use the drug for and their previous experience with the drug. For the treatment of anxieties, a dose rate of 0.1 mg/kg orally twice a day might be used by these vets. Where you wanted to achieve deep sedation, a higher dose of up to 0.5 mg/kg might be used by some vets.

3. Your dog weighs 15.9 Kg { 35 pounds } so a top dose for deep sedation in your dog's case would be { 0.5 X 15.9 } = 7.95 mg, so unless your dog swallowed more than say 8 one mg tablets then this should not be such a serious incident.

4. Given the above, all you can do is to observe your dog for adverse symptoms such as lethargy and incoordination and then contact a local vet if things are getting out of hand. I would have thought however that if things were going to go badly wrong they would have started to do so by now. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Harley condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you so very much
I greatly appreciate your time and help

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian