Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 20 lb Frenchie that has a few puncture wounds on…

I have a 20 lb...
I have a 20 lb Frenchie that has a few puncture wounds on her leg. She and my other Frenchie decided to fight over a toy. I have cleaned her wounds really well. None of them need sutured but I do want to start her on antibiotic. I have keflex 250 mg capsules here but need to know what I can give her and how often.
1/21/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter. I'll dose cephalexin at 10 mg per pound of body weight twice daily for a minimum of 5 days when addressing full-thickness bite wound punctures. Initiating the antibiotic within 48 hours of the punctures should avoid abscessation. Cephalexin is usually well-tolerated with adverse effects limited to transient gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - if any adverse effects are seen at all. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
that is 200 mg twice a day? You aren’t dividing the 200 mg into 100 mg each dose right?

Thank you for your kind accept. Sorry for the delay. I was offline until now. Yes, "10 mg per pound of body weight twice daily..." would be 200 mg twice daily for her. May I have an update on Frenchie, please?

She is doing so much better and is healing great with the antibiotic. Thank you

Good to hear! Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

The cefalexin is working for her some but not helping as much as I would like. It still looks infected and smells. What antibiotic can I change her to. I have ancef injectable or I have rocephrin injectable. Would I help to give her that? Her leg is still pretty swollen and one of the puncture holes is open and draining. Please let me know.

It sounds as if the area needs to be addressed surgically - lanced and flushed with an antimicrobial solution and debrided (devitalized tissue removed). Once these abscess as has occurred, antibiotics can't penetrate into the area well. Those other antibiotics are in the same class as cephalexin and so you shouldn't expect them to be of any more value than the cephalexin.

I have started to flush the area with hibicleans and sterile water twice a day. It seems to be helping some but wanted to see if I could give an injection of the antibiotic

Good to hear. Ancef can be administered at an "average" dose of 7 - 16 mg/lb IM (large muscle) or SQ every 8 hours. Rocephin can be administered at 23 mg/lb IM or SQ once or twice daily.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian