Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog developed diarrhea Friday night and it hasn't let up…

My dog developed diarrhea...

My dog developed diarrhea Friday night and it hasn't let up since. I have boiled white rice and was going to feed that with boiled hamburger but I heard that it should be rice and chicken instead. Which do you recommend? (I normally feed 1 can of Science Diet chicken & beef per day.)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is Gracie. She is a rescue - former street dog - and my vet estimates her age at around 8 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?

She has always had very regular, well formed stools. (I assumed, given her background, that she has an iron gut.) No known food allergies. She still sometimes exhibits foraging behavior on our walks. She is part Beagle and always has her nose to the ground. I try to watch her so she doesn't pick up this and that but we have lots of rabbits around and I'm not sure she doesn't get "rabbit raisins" sometimes. She will also go for anything dead lying around. (I live in a rural village with lots of critters roaming around at night.) I don't know that she didn't find some treasure on one of our walks when I wasn't looking.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Gracie has diarrhea. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any vomiting?

4- Any blood in the stool?

5- Any other symptoms?

No pre-existing medical conditions.
43#
No vomiting
No blood in stool
No. She is still lively on our walks; her eyes look OK; not drinking water excessively

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1/2 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

Note: Boiled hamburger meat is fine.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Thank you so much! What I was looking for was a plan of action and this sounds like a good one. I will start with the Proto right away. Thanks again!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian