Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My cat started throwing up small amounts of foam or like…

My cat started throwing...

My cat started throwing up small amounts of foam or spit like stuff yesterday afternoon. She makes a weird meow before she starts like it hurts and her whole body contorts as she throws up does not seem to act like she feels real bad but but quiet this morning. It is sunday so our vet is not open is it ok to wait to call her tomorrow or should we do emergency. not real lively.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Tomorrow eat anything unusual?

NO not that I know of she had some new treats in last day or 2 from Purina ProPLan there were a few pieces in the first time she spit up. Her name is***** meant call our vet tomorrow when she opens.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Maggie?

About 13. Always been healthy except for teeth issues a time or two a few years back. We have a new kitten that we have had about 3 months but they seem to get along ok.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?

I dont think so. She is mainly an inside cat but goes out on occassion for half hour or so on our back deck. She was out for about 20 minutes on Thursday but did not venture out far.

1/21/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. I am so sorry Maggie is experiencing this.

Unfortunately vomiting is a nonspecific symptom and can indicate one of many possible underlying causes. At her age we worry first about possible organ problem (kidney, liver) or endocrine issue (hyperthyroidism, diabetes) or a tumor/mass hiding somewhere, but we cannot rule out chronic pancreatitis or ingestion of an unusual item that is causing severe upset while passing through (or isn't passing).

Since your vet is not open today we must determine if this is a medial emergency such that you need to have her seen today. If she is markedly lethargic/weak, has blood in her vomit, has profuse/nonstop vomiting, or any pain, or respiratory issues then you need to have her seen. If she has quieted from yesterday then I can make a few suggestions for what to try today at home. And if she is not recovered tomorrow then please have her examined.

If she was my patient and you elected not to have her seen today I might recommend you try the following today:

1) Tempt her to eat in 3 smaller meals per day. Try something like people baby food of the pureed chicken variety or a canned food. IF she vomits, then do not feed her again for 8-12 hours.

2) Give famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 24 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified