Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7-year-old Great Pyrenees just had a seizure--it probably…

My 7-year-old Great Pyrenees...

My 7-year-old Great Pyrenees just had a seizure--it probably lasted only a minute or so though it seemed much longer. He seems OK now but it has never happened before and of course I'm worried. If it won't put him at risk I'll wait till tomorrow to see my own vet rather than go to whoever's on call this weekend. What would you recommend?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Great Pyrenees?

Not really, At his annual check-up in December all blood work etc. was normal. We did titers instead of vacc., although he did have a rabies shot.

1/21/2018
Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, thank you for contacting us at Just Answer. Watching your pet have a seizure is a scary thing to witness, and can be very confusing for you and your dog. There are a lot of reasons that can cause a dog to have a seizure, and some completely healthy dogs can have a seizure for an unknown reason once, and never have another one again. There are toxins and poisons that can cause a pet to have a seizure. Be sure you have checked around the house and yard to make sure there is nothing he could have gotten into. In older pets we do worry about metabolic problems, stroke, or brain tumors, but these are not easy to diagnose just by looking at a pet. Luckily you just had him evaluated last month for his annual exam and have a good starting point with your vet. If he is acting normal now, I think you should be fine to just keep an eye on him until you can get him to your vet tomorrow. If he does have additional seizures today, please take him to an ER so they can get him started on some medications to control the seizures. We generally start anti-seizure medications on dogs if they have more than 2 seizures in a 24 hr time period. Good luck and I hope he does well!

Thank you. I found out that my own clinic is the one on call this weekend so I spoke to a vet there and she said much the same as you did. I'll take him in tomorrow just to be on the safe side, unless he has another episode today.

That is great - I'm happy you were able to connect with them and get some additional answers. I hope you dog does well. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello - just following up to see how your dog is doing and if you had any additional questions. I hope he is well and no further seizures!

Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian