Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How much would it cost me. Shouldn't take. My vet thinks my…

How much would it...

How much would it cost me

Veterinarian's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Veterinarian's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Shouldn't take long. My vet thinks my golden retriever has osteosarcoma just under his right eye. She says it can't be surgically removed. She wants to biopsy it next week but I've heard biopsies can cause it to metastasize faster and cause more pain. I don't want to put him through chemo. I know he has just a few months at best to live if this is cancer. Should I bother with the biopsy or just focus on pain control and quality of life for the time he has left. He's 6 yrs old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the golden retriever's name?

Danny

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Danny?

Not really. He's been healthy, happy, no other issues. He is neutered. He's on a good grain free kibble diet. Eats just fine.

1/21/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Danny. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you have been waiting for an answer.

What make your vet suspect osteosarcoma? Has an Xray been done? What are you seeing under his right eye; can you post a picture?

I'm not able to post a pic of the xrays. My phone camera is broke. But there are definite changes to the bone under his right eye compared to the left. In addition to just under the eye it radiates back to the side of his head with what looks like some atrophy.

I was wondering because when we see a lesion just below the eye, sometimes it is a tooth root infection. Before doing a biopsy, you might have the Xray sent to a veterinary radiologist for a second opinion about whether the lesion is cancer or infection.

Definitely not a tooth root. That was the 1st thing she looked at. Plus it's extended past the eye into the side of his head

Then I am sorry to say that a biopsy is the logical next step to tell if it is cancer, what kind, if it is something else such as a bone infection. The only way to know what it is would be a biopsy. You might be able to start with just a needle biopsy, and go to a surgical biopsy if you do not get answers.

If it is osteosarcoma, that is a very unusual location and there would not be a lot of treatment options. Treatment would be palliative; you would not be trying for a cure, just pain relief and comfort. You can't tell for sure it is osteosarcoma without a biopsy.

Thank you. That's what I needed to know.

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing and if you have any other questions. I am sorry he has this condition.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the good rating.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian