Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog nose running. Dog tongue out breathing hard nose

Customer Question
Dog nose running Veterinarian's...

Dog nose running

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Dog tongue out breathing hard nose running

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Can’t tell

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?

Not eating

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name and age?

2years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Chloe she eats dog fetus can’t stop her

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Think she’s sick from eating her fetus

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Do eat feces everyday
Now she’s very sick
Won’t eat or drink
1/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long have you been seeing these signs?

What color nasal discharge? From one or both nostrils?

Any gagging, lip licking, drooling, vomiting, or diarrhea?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

One side of the nose gagging lip licking drooling and diarrhea heart beating fast

Oh dear,

I have to say that while GI signs (diarrhea, gagging, drooling, appetite loss and lip licking) could be related to her eating feces; I don't feel this is all that is afoot. This is because while GI upset could also be caused by GI infection (viral or bacterial), pancreatitis, parasites or dietary indiscretion; the nasal discharge doesn't quite fit. It would mean she has aspirated vomit into he back of her nasal passage but otherwiseone sided nasal discharge can be suggestive of other issues (ie foreign bodies, tooth root abscesses, fungal agents, or polyps/growths in the nasal passage). So, to see all these signs and if you feel her heart rate is >140 beats per minute (especially if her gums are pale or she has a fast breathing rate) then we may need to have Chloe seen at this stage to be safe.

Any delay and we can at least try some supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

As well, if she is very loose, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Since dehydration is a risk with all of Chloe 's signs, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns and if she is quite down with this, we'd want to be proactive. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, that nose keeps running, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her with a view to starting injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, fluids, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian