Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has diarrhea and vomiting. I also just noticed a

My dog has diarrhea...

My dog has diarrhea and vomiting. I also just noticed a Black line where his testicles should be:(

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not really just his regular food and water. Oh! And some mandarins.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Kobe and he is 4 years and 4 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kobe?

Not really he is a pretty healthy dog up to now.

1/21/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he lethargic?

3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Breed?

6- Any pre existing medical conditions?

7- Can you post a picture of the black line on the scrotum?

He vomited once last night (Friday) and then on Saturday at about 8pm the diarreah started. He is a Long Coat Jack Russel mix. Only thing he has is his testicles never dropped. But he has always been pretty healthy. The line on the scrotum appeared a couple of days ago and he did seem to be allergic to the Christmas tree so we kept him away from it but it made him itchy and red so we had it away from where he hangs out. He has been drinking lots of water and is eating but he does seem a little tired.

1- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual?

Dr. Peter how can I upload the picture on here?

You can download a picture using the paper clip icon on top of your reply screen.

It doesn’t show the icon. I’m on my cellphone maybe that is why so let me figure it out real quick, sorry about that.

Okay, please let me know. Thanks.

Can I email you the picture or text you it?

I am sorry, I don't have an email or text set up to share with clients. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Ok, thank you.

Friend, I don't believe the black line you are seeing in the scrotum is related to the vomiting and diarrhea. If he had some inflammation in this area during Christmas it is likely what you are seeing is hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin) secondary to inflammation. What happens is that inflammatory cells (macrophages) release melanin (black pigment) causing the color change; this is not malignancy just a sign of chronic inflammation.

As far as the vomiting and diarrhea, this can be caused by dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. If he has been drinking more than usual this could be an indication of a systemic disease like kidney or liver disease, infections, tumors, etc. to name a few causes. Any of these medical conditions can cause him to vomit and have diarrhea.

Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. In this case, I would recommend having Kobe checked by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination, and blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Strongly recommend having him checked in the morning. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime, this is what you can do for the vomiting and diarrhea:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian