Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My small 5 lb chihuahua received a rabies shot today. Now…

My small 5 lb...

My small 5 lb chihuahua received a rabies shot today. Now his face iis swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Bruno he around 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?

He got a rabies shot a few hours ago He might have vomited

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Bruno eat anything unusual?

No just the rabies shot

1/21/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear your Bruno has this problem, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While I cannot be 100% sure over the internet I have to say that any sudden onset swelling on the facial area on a dog including the eyes, lips and nose is typical of an allergic reaction in the dog, an itchy skin with hives or bumps elsewhere on the body may also develop today as time goes by. This sort of allergic reaction is actually fairly common in the dog and in your case is most likely related to the rabies vaccine Bruno had today. While sometimes quite spectacular this is rarely a serious condition.

2. I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of Benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of Benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK.
However, if this is an allergic reaction to the rabies vaccine then the swelling would be likely to go down over a 48 hour period without treatment anyway.

3. But if your dog deteriorates further at all, or there are other symptoms other than the facial swelling and possibly an itchy skin, or it does not quickly start to resolve then you should have your local vet check your dog over ASAP. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bruno's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we are at an emergancy vet thanks anyway

You are doing the right thing, please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thx. will do.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bruno is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect allergic reaction ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian