Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been throwing up most of the day and now his

My dog has been...

My dog has been throwing up most of the day and now his vomit is bright pink. It has been thick and mucousy once all the food was regurgitated. He also has diarrhea. I'm wondering if I need to take him to the vet or wait it out over night

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Nugget, 15.yr old 1.5 not 15!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Nugget

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nugget?

He cut his nose this morning trying to get through a wooden gate and was shaking most of the morning when he was vomitting but is now just vomitting and refusing to eat

1/21/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

1. He doesn't want to move much but will come when I call him.
2. 75lb
3. Not that I know of
thank you. The nearest emergency vet is 2.5hr away so I'd mostly like to know if I need to drive him in now or wait it out!

Will he be able to see a vet in the morning?

it would still be the 2.5hr drive - nothing closer is open!
but yes, we can take him in if that's what is best

Friend, when we see pink vomit the concern is that he could be bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract. In a young dog like Nugget, the immediate concern is that he could have a foreign body in the gastrointestinal tract. If he does have a foreign body and it perforates the intestines the outcome could be fatal. For this reason, it is best to have him checked as soon as you can. Could there be other causes? Yes, but, unfortunately, without a hands-on examination I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. If this was my dog I would have him checked tonight. I know this is a long drive for you, but, I would prefer to err on the side of caution. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- If he is going to see the vet tonight I would keep him off food and water until he is seen by a veterinarian in the next 3-4 hours.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

When he was vomitting earlier today there was no blood. Is it possible his upper GI is inflamed from the excessive vomitting?

Yes, that is a possibility; there could be inflammation or he ruptured a small vessel with forceful vomiting.

he just threw up again and it was not pink this time. There were pink and yellow floaties in it but the rest was not red. I am really torn about the drive. He greeted my husband when he came in the door and was wagging his tail but then puked again
I work from home so he's fairly well supervised so I really don't think he ate anything

If you decide not to take him in to see the vet keep him off food and water for the next 8-12 hours. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours. Then, gradually give a small amount of water followed by a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian