Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She keeps throwing up four times today. Not to my

She keeps throwing up...

She keeps throwing up four times today

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not to my knowledge.... but she did eat the tail end of some fried shrimp a couple of days ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Sasha she's 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?

Diabetic

1/21/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. With diabetics, you always worry when they start to vomit because it can get serious quickly. If they vomit and go without eating for too long it can lead to other complications and they can become even more sick. I would recommend taking her to the vet for some bloodwork tonight if at all possible so we can determine the best treatment plan for her. If that is not possible, there are some things you can try at home to help with the vomiting.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days, realizing that this is not her normal diabetic dog food, but can be a good substitute when they have an upset stomach. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also add in some low sodium chicken broth as well. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian