Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just adopted a 2 yr old mix breed. He leaks liquid feces…

I just adopted a...

I just adopted a 2 yr old mix breed. He leaks liquid feces and yesterday he was chewing on a toy and poop just slid out and he didnt notice.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Tink

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tink?

He has been eating dog chow, I am switching him over to proplan. He is on doxycycline 2 times a day, he was treated for heartworm infection about 3 weeks ago. Hes very itchy, drinks a lot and then pees a lot. Other than that hes ok.

1/21/2018
Robert Schwarb

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. Let me know if you are available in the next 15 minutes or so, I would like to help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm here now

Great.

I'm sorry to hear that Tink isn't feel well, how long many days have you had him now?

It sounds like he has had a lot of changes recently, between being treated for Heartworm, moving to a new home, and all the changes that come with it.

The stress from these things as well as the change in diet are both very likely reasons that can cause a dog to have loose stool and diarrhea.

A bland diet (boiled chicken and rice, or a GI prescription food) can be very helpful. Also, you can trying adding a tbsp of pureed pumpkin (canned pumpkin can be found at any grocery store - just don't get pie filling). These can help settle and upset stomach and help firm up stool. If it is not improving or getting worse then I recommend going into your local vet as they might be able to get you a prescription diet and/or some antibiotics that can help as well.

Do you have any questions about any of that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He doesn't have diarrhea or loos stools. They are formed, soft. He leaks. I just did his anal glands and they were empty. I just checked. Thanks going to see my vet Mon or tue.

It is possible the leaking can be the start of having some loose stool and

GI upset. But I do think going to the vet on Monday isn't a bad idea. Until then doing a bland diet can potentially help. Do you have any other questions for me?

Robert Schwarb
Robert Schwarb
Robert Schwarb
Robert Schwarb