Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Not eating, seems warm/fever, lethargic, some clear

not eating, seems warm/fever...

not eating, seems warm/fever, lethargic, some clear drainage. He has not been around other dogs. Thinking flu?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Ryder. Age is roughly 6. He is a Turkey rescue dog. We've had him for a year.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ryder?

He has double cataracts birth defect. wants to just be with me or outside and lay down

1/20/2018
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian practicing for the past 6 + years. I understand that your pet Ryder is ill and you suspect it may be the canine influenza. Give me a moment to type up my reply. I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

1) Are you able to get a rectal temperature on Ryder? (a regular thermometer will do)

2) How long has he refused to eat now and been ill for?

3) Is he up to date on his Bordetella vaccination? This is typically given once a year

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is up to date on vaccines. Starting looking ill yesterday. Today is first day he did not eat. I have never tried to get a temperature on a dog. Yes, vaccine includes Bordetella.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cannot talk on phone right now. I'll take him to vet if needed.

The website sends that link through automatically. That isn't my doing. Just ignore it if you wish.

Ok great. You just stick the thermometer up their rectum and hold until it beeps. He may try to sit but you can hold him up with your forearm. If you have someone to assist it may be a bit easier to do.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it is flu, can anything be done or just wait it out?

The flu can be treated via your vet with aggressive antibiotics, fluid therapy, and supportive care (anti-nausea medicine, fever reducer, etc). But the faster you treat the more likely your pet can recover.

- Dr. H

Canine influenza won't resolve on its own.

However, Canine Influenza is only concentrated in certain areas. What area do you live in?

Also is the draining coming from his nose?

Is he coughing also?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
GA. No coughing. No fever.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll just take him to his vet if he's still down and out in the morning. Thank you.

Ok good. Then he likely doesn't have Canine Influenza. There is almost always a fever and coughing involved.
He likely just has a really bad case of an upper respiratory infection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks and have a good evening. I have to go now.

And you the same.

Best of luck and take care.

* Please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided for you and your pet today. Thank you so much for your feedback and have a wonderful rest of your day*

Best regards,

Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet