Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My senior dog is not eating and drinks a lot of water.

My senior dog is...

My senior dog is not eating and drinks a lot of water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Bessie age 16 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bessie?

Not she eats sometimes and not others vet checked her teeth and gave her antibiotics a couple of months ago which didn't change her irregular eating patterns he also said she was in great health but she has gotten thin, has less energy and sometimes walks around confused especially at night

1/20/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. If your dog hasn't had bloodwork in the past few months, I would recommend having some bloodwork done on her as she might have kidney disease which can cause them to drink a lot and have a sparse appetite. In the meantime, I would recommend starting her on some Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb every 12 hours). This is an antacid that can help with older dogs that tend to have some acid reflux. You can also start adding some boiled chicken, white rice, and low sodium chicken broth to her food to help spark her appetite some. These are bland foods that won't cause GI upset and can help as older dogs get more finicky with age.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks Dr Schmidt Great ideas I will try them

You're welcome, I really hope that helps her.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian