Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was put on Meloxicam for a back injury. He weighs 10…

My dog was put...

My dog was put on Meloxicam for a back injury. He weighs 10 lbs, and he was accidentally given a 50 lb dose. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

My other dog jumped on him, and hurt his back. He was prescribed Meloxicam by the vet, but he got a dosage for a 50 lb dog, instead of a 10 lb.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Cash, 4 almost 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cash?

No, he's otherwise healthy

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear what happened with Cash's meloxicam dose. How long ago did this happen?

About 10 minutes ago

A dose this high may cause vomiting, diarrhea, or possibly kidney damage. If this just happened, giving activated charcoal might be helpful, at a veterinarian office.

You could try to induce vomiting, but since it is a liquid it might already be absorbed. You can give him 1/2 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream to get him to drink it, and see if that gets him to vomit. It has to be in date peroxide.

I might also start him on sucralfate, to protect his stomach from ulceration. You would have to get this from a veterinarian.

Are you there? How is he and what other questions can I answer?

He got a shot yesterday, and it caused him to have the loss of appetite and drinking a lot of water. And he was just sluggish last night. So I'm wondering if we should have even given him the medicine at all. And now he's had 5x the dosage.

If he got a 5X dose, I would try to make him vomit but the more time that passes the less that may help. If he were my own dog, I would give activated charcoal (not the over the counter charcoal; not strong enough) and start him on sucralfate. That may be all yo have to do.

I would also monitor his kidney function to be sure there is no damage.

Just doing some research, at this dose, we would be more worried about GI signs than kidney, but I would still monitor him.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful and what other questions you have. Watch for vomiting; that would be the first sign of the meloxicam affecting him.

I just checked and it ended up being for a 30 lb dog instead of 50. So it's still too much, but not as bad. I will call our local vet.

No not as bad, thank goodness. That still may cause vomiting.

Please let me know how he is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

How is Cash today?

Please let me know if my answer was helpful and if I can answer anything else.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Cash is much better today. Thank you!

You are welcome; glad to hear it! Thanks for the update and the good rating!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?