Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We had our dog Luna spayed 12 days ago. Our other dog Zeus…

Hi. We had our...

Hi. We had our dog Luna spayed 12 days ago. Our other dog Zeus was bit by a spider a couple days ago and our vet said it would be ok to take Luna’s cone off and use it on Zeus. The vet said We could bring Luna in to take her stitches out any time but we planned on taking her Monday just in case. Now the area around her stitches look very scabbed. Is that normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Luna

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about your dogs! I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
if there's just a small amount of scabbing but the area is not inflamed, red or moist, then I wouldn't be overly concerned. If you were keeping the e-collar on her for most of the two-week. And she was not licking, then I'm sure over all the incision is pretty dry and healing well. Sometimes dogs will have a mild surgery action and get a little bit of scabbing, but if the area is not opening up and moist, then I think it will be just fine, especially if bshe was not licking at the area or excessively active.
You can always apply a small amount of Neosporin to the area to soften the scabs. However I wouldn't give her a bath or try to clean the area without your veterinarian examining her first.
I hope that helps. Please keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions. If you are satisfied with my assistance of five star rating is always appreciated and is always experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
Thank you for the picture , that really helps. So it looks like she may have been licking a little bit or rubbing her belly on the ground. However, It looks like it will heal just fine. I would definitely apply a thin layer of Neosporin to the area and monitor her closely for any licking. If your other dog doesn't need the e-collar at this time then you could always put it back on her. I think she will still be okay to have her sutures removed on Monday though.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your help! It definitely gave me some peace of mind.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian