Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a dog who recently (about 1 month ago) had a surgery…

I have a dog...

I have a dog who recently (about 1 month ago) had a surgery to fix an abscessed tooth that a precious vet didn't properly remove. Under his eye healed up great, but this week it got large again so I took him back to the vet and they cut back into under his eye and took X-rays and the X-rays didn't show anything. He still has stitches in but the place on his face keeps growing and is soft. The vet is stumped and I don't want to sedate him again because he's been sedated so much. I'm hoping for another opinion.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

Previous not precious*

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

He's not bleeding at all. Under his eye is just swollen. His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oakley?

Not that I am aware of. When they fixed the other vets mess up they found bits of teeth and the roots that the vet didn't remove

1/20/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Oakley. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. This sounds like a really frustrating situation.

I have to admit it's a little odd for your vet to say he's stumped and not offer any additional solutions. Is he a veterinary dental specialist?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No he is not. He said if his eye keeps swelling we'll have to see a specialist. I just don't get why his face keeps swelling and coming back after each surgery. It also stumps me how nothing is showing wrong in the X-rays

Understood. This makes me worry he is missing something. I am assuming he put your dog on antibiotics?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
he is still on antibiotics

Without a doubt, the most common thing to cause a draining sore under the eye is a dental abscess, and some of these can be very difficult to identify properly on an x-ray. That makes me agree with your vet that if he hasn't been able to identify the cause, a trip to a dental specialist is necessary.

Other things can cause a problem like this too. Though extremely rare, some types of tumor/cancer are possible. Another thing your vet might recommend doing is taking a biopsy.

So sorry you're in such a difficult and frustrating situation. I wish I had better news for you.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
He had an abscess over a year ago, and my wonder is since his orginal vet didn't properly remove it, if that could cause lifelong issues with his face swelling and not being able to properly drain. They said he had a sack that kept filling up with blood and white blood cells and when they went back in to try to fix the vets mistake they took out the sack or got rid of it. Even though his tooth is removed what could a specialist do? Do you think he could have sniffed a seed in his nasal cavity?

A seed into the nasal cavity is certainly a possibility, but it would be a crazy coincidence for him to have a problem like that in the same location where he's already had a dental abscess.

Based on my understanding of the difficulty involved with some dental abscesses, I think the quickest way to get a solution is actually to go ahead and see the specialist. I know it's frustrating to have to spend more money, but it seems pretty clear to me that Oakley's problem is more than your current vet is able to deal with.

I soooooo wish I had better news for you.

You'll actually be most likely to get a solution faster (and spend less money) the sooner you see a specialist.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Based on your knowledge what do you think the specialist will be able to do?

In all honesty, I think the specialist is going to find some retained tooth root(s) that your curret vet is missing. That's what would be most common.

Second most common would be to find a foreign body (like a seed) and surgically remove it.

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight. I am really sorry you're stuck in this difficult situation...

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
That answered some questions I had. Thank you so much!

I'm glad I could help. Please remember to rate my response on your way out of the chat so I may receive credit for helping you tonight.

Thank you for using our website. I wish you and Oakley the best.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian